Saturday, December 29, 2012

Reflection

"Hearken to me, ye that follow after righteousness, ye that seek the LORD: look unto the rock whence ye are hewn , and to the hole of the pit whence ye are digged."
~ Isaiah 51:1 

I have been thinking about this verse. And it seems fitting for the reflection upon a year past and a year to come. 
From a layman's perspective, this verse had a great deal of meaning brought into a very every day personal description.
Since the building that was done in the days above, came from handwork, and the digging of, and out of pits came from laborious efforts, this verse greets the people on their terms. 
The pits were muddy and rough and being pulled from a pit took manual labor as well as digging the pit. Ropes and muscle and mud. But before one digs a pit, it is a flat piece of earth. 
A stone that is carved in its beginnings is simply a shapeless hard piece of matter. Then as the long carving and chiseling process takes it course a person, a word, or even a scene might take form.... Stone mountain's famous civil war scene for instance. But it did not start out as anything special or nice to look at. 

That is how God tells us to view our lives and take reflection. We are seeking the Lord and righteousness, and sometimes that gets discouraging to see what we are compared to Jesus' righteous standards;however, He says... "Reflect. You start out as something shapeless and perhaps ugly or distasteful, but I am shaping you and you are becoming something that has form."
 It takes labor and struggle, but we can reflect and see what we started out as and what we are now, in Christ.
It has been an encouraging thought for me this day. 




2 comments:

  1. I like this. And you know, Stone Mtn has "Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee, and Jesus!"

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I started "Annalogies" as an outlet of creativity for an overly scientific, logically minded life. I love people. I enjoy the simple things in life. My aspiration is that this outlet can allow me to grow in expression. So go with me and grow with me, if you like. I am just a sculpture still in the making. annegirl46@gmail.com