Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Root of the Matter

Splanchnizomai and Splen are the roots of the Greek word from which compassion is derived. Most importantly they are the derivatives for the word that  was used all of twelve times when talking about Jesus.

Luke is said to have written the gospel that describes a compassionate savior. As I am reading through it, I thought it behooved me to look into this word, this characteristic of our greatest example.

"To feel sympathy, to have the bowels yearn , inward affection, tender mercy, be moved."
I found it interesting to note that the bowels were an important figurative example in the days in which the New testament was written . It depicted the very deepest part of a person. Thus when we are truly compassionate, we are going to be affected for them in sympathy.
It is so easy in today's culture to get hardened to the seeming mass of independent individuals. However, there is still a need for Christ's followers to have compassion. To truly take the time and often to forget the inconvenience,  in order to feel deeply, to be affected by/for those in our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I started "Annalogies" as an outlet of creativity for an overly scientific, logically minded life. I love people. I enjoy the simple things in life. My aspiration is that this outlet can allow me to grow in expression. So go with me and grow with me, if you like. I am just a sculpture still in the making. annegirl46@gmail.com